- Seeds go digital: faster and better-quality certification, a game-changer for African farmers?Many Kenyan maize farmers are busy preparing their seed stock for the next planting season. Sowing high quality seeds of stress-tolerant varieties is a cost-effective way for African smallholder farmers to boost their harvests while being resilient to evolving crop pests and diseases as well as an erratic climate. However, even if a majority of […]
- Emergency seed fuels quick farm recovery in drought-affected EthiopiaIn response to Ethiopia’s worst drought in 50 years and a critical shortage of seed in 2016, CIMMYT and partners delivered over 3,400 tons of high quality seed to farmers.
- Farmers at center of sustainable agriculture in KenyaClimate change’s impact in eastern and southern Africa has driven many farmers to seek new planting techniques that maintain or increase crop production, despite fewer resources.
- Seed certification critical to quality seed productionTo ensure that quality seed standards are maintained, CIMMYT supports partners such as national agricultural research institutions and seed producers in acquisition and production of pure early generation seed.
- Tanzanian start-up rises to profitable maize businessCIMMYT supports seed company partners in enhancing their capacity to produce foundation and certified seed.
- New Publications: Maize variety replacement lags in sub-Saharan AfricaNAIROBI (CIMMYT) — A new study has revealed that sub-Saharan Africa’s maize variety turnover continues to fall behind the rest of the world. The study – which observed nearly 500 maize varieties grown across 13 African countries during the 2013-2014 main crop season – found that the average age of maize seed being planted in […]
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control Training Workshop on Maize Seed Value ChainsCIMMYT will conduct a regional training workshop on quality assurance (QA) and quality control (QC) of maize seed value chains in Nairobi, Kenya from May 17-19, 2017.
- CIMMYT Participates in the Sixth African Green Revolution ForumCIMMYT joined 1,700 delegates from around the globe who participated in the sixth African Green Revolution Forum.
- New high-yielding maize aids smallholder farmers, helps hungry in drought-hit AfricaBigger and healthier maize is helping counter the effects of severe drought caused by the warming effects of an El Nino weather system.
- Building Zambia’s drought-tolerant maize businessDrought tolerant maize can reduce risks for farmers and allow for more consistent crop production in the face of climate variability in southern Africa.
- Drought-tolerant maize a boon to farmers in Zambia hit by El NiñoDrought-related challenges in Africa call for proactive interventions rather than reactive ones.
- Action needed to adapt maize breeding to climate change, report showsBreeding and seed systems must immediately adapt to changing climates if major loss of maize yields is to be avoided, a new report shows.
- Maize seed systems in Africa: Understanding the basicsSince 2006, CIMMYT has developed 200 drought-tolerant varieties and hybrids, many of which possess desirable traits such as resistance to major diseases.
- Tanzania seed company increases demand for drought-tolerant maizeLocally adapted marketing initiatives are successfully converting farmers to the high-performing, drought-tolerant maize variety Lubango in Tanzania.
- Millions of smallholders in Africa benefit from climate resilient drought-tolerant maizeAt least 40 million smallholder farmers in sub-Saharan Africa are profiting from more than 200 new drought-tolerant varieties of maize.
Latest from DTMASS
Read how DTMASS is contributing to food security in sub-Saharan Africa with stories from the field, events and more in our news section.
Handy data sheets summarizing agricultural trends in the region
Proper crop management is critical to increased harvests. We share proven, successful methods such as conservation agriculture, proper plant spacing and so much more.
Browse our gallery for the latest pictorial coverage of events and fields activities